Satin doesn’t just have to be reserved for prom dresses and intimates! A solid coloured satin piece, whether it be a slinky (yet elegant!) dress, or bodacious A-line skirt, steps your ensemble up a notch- perfect for a New Year’s Eve celebration. What we love about these satin look is that they are simple, but special. While you wouldn’t wear satin for everyday wear, the holidays are the ideal time to try this trend on for size.
The delicacy of this fabric can make it a little tricky to sew, so we’ve got a few tips to help you make your perfect NYE satin outfit!
- You really want to avoid ironing, so to prevent creases, make sure to store your satin rolled up.
- To prevent fraying, make sure to use very sharp scissors to cut your satin.
- Make sure that all your satin pieces are in the same direction – the shine does follow a certain pattern!
- Avoid marking your satin with materials that require water to remove. Water can leave stain marks.
- Use a short stitch and hold the fabric tight while sewing (and make sure you’re using a sharp needle!)
Here are some more tips to help you along the way!
What’s your favourite satin look?