December is here, and the holiday spirit is buzzing all around us! Family time, dinners, traditions and gift giving is right around the corner. I bet a lot of you have already begun, or are at least thinking about what you are getting your friends and family for the holidays, and if you are like me, it doesn’t always involve a trip to the mall. I have always felt that giving and receiving handmade gifts is a much more personal and special way to go. Making a gift, not only involves a lot more of your creativity, time and effort but is also a lot of fun to do. For as long as I remember I have, at the very least, been making my own cards when gift giving. I feel like that special personalized touch goes a long way. I am finding that as I get older the more I turn to handmade gifts instead of store bought. It really makes the experience of giving that much more special. Also, since most people around me are now in a position of being able to get what they want or need on their own, I figure, why not give them something that tugs at their heart strings instead? I decided to do a little digging and came up with 5 of my favourite DIY gift ideas for the seamstress in your life. Whether it’s your mom, grandmother or a friend who has either been sewing for a long time or is just starting out, they will love that you took the time to make them something personal for their special hobby. If you have any ideas to add to this list, please do! We always love to hear from you!
1. Mason Jar Sewing Kit: Anthropology used to sell these for 48$! Isn’t that outrageous? I don’t know how all of these items in a mason jar could be worth that amount of money, but it is the cutest thing ever, and it makes a great gift! Check out this DIY for instructions on how to make your own, that is almost nicer than the store bought version!
2. Tape Measurer Table Runner: I am in love with this! I saw this a couple of years ago and wanted to make one for the long farm table I don’t have (hence why I didn’t) but this is an amazing gift if your friend has a table that it would fit one! Check out this tutorial for instructions and tips on making your own!
3. DIY Framed Spool holder: I love this idea! This is perfect for someone who does a lot of sewing, or that even has a room of their own for the hobby. What is great about this example is that it doubles as a work of art while keeping everything neat, organized and at arms reach. There is no tutorial, it looks super easy to make using an Ikea Picture frame, some colouring pencils and a few other simple supplies!
4. DIY Magnetic Pin Plate: If you sew, you know that those litte pins can get pretty annoying! Having an easy place to keep them is always a huge help. I love this idea because you can use any plate you want. In this tutorial, a beautiful antique plate is used, but you can take any style of plate that would suit your friends taste, and it’s so simple to make!
5. Button Cookies: If you love baking, then this is great gift! These button cookies are so adorable and would please any of your seamstress friends!
I hope this helped you in finding the perfect personalized gift for your sewing friends,