The perfect way to give your gifts this season is to wrap them in fabric! From small to medium sized gifts, this is a great way to be economical and unique with your gift wrapping.
What you’ll need:
1. Different patterns of cotton voile or poplin type fabric. This works the best because it is not too thick and stays firm, making it easier to play with. We wanted to make sure we picked fabrics that looked great together since we will be using them for holiday decorations in our office! (The styles above are all cotton and worked really well for us). Here are some other TÉLIO fabrics that would be perfect for gift wrapping.
2. Gift tags! You can use leftover fabrics strips or string to tie on your gift tags. Jess and I made these ones especially for our gifts so the colours matched the fabric!
- Measure the size of your box/gift to wrap.
- Cut a square of fabric 3 times the size of the box (we found it is best to use a box that is wider than it is tall, it’s more difficult to wrap taller gifts).
- You can either hem the fabric for a very finished look or leave as is and trim any frays.
- Place the square of fabric diagonally in front of you on your surface.
- Place the gift just off center in relation to the top corner of your fabric square.
- Fold the top and then bottom corner over each other and be sure to fold the bottom point under so it is not hanging over the side.
- Gather the remaining two corners, twist and bring them to the top of your gift and tie them in a knot or bow. We found the knot looks the most clean.
- Once the fabric is tied, play with the corners of the gift, you can fold the fabric as you wish to create the nicest final effect.
- Don’t forget to add your gift tag at the end!
As a group all the patterns combined look really great.
The other perfect thing about this idea is the gift receiver now has almost 1 m of fabric to use for accessories, crafts or any other sewing project their imagination can think up! Wrapping gifts with fabric gives great added value to your gift. Be sure to do this for people who will use and appreciate this added touch! Here you can see Jess wearing a Plaid scarf out of the same fabric we used for one of our gifts.
We hope this has inspired you to wrap your gifts in beautiful fabrics! Not only is it easy, fun and unique, but it becomes two gifts in one!