Here at TÉLIO most of us girls that contribute to the blog are also on the social committee. And with the Holidays right around the corner we are working on a lot of fun activities for our fellow coworkers. The first daily activity starting on the 1st of December will be a countdown advent calendar. Each day of the week we will draw an employee name from a hat and that person will win that day’s ornament and a gift! Each day we will remove the winning ornament and give it away, leaving only the remaining ornaments representing the days left until the Christmas Holiday!
If you want to relive the childhood excitement of counting down to the holidays and have a beautiful decoration for your home or office at the same time, follow these simple steps!
What you need:
1. Medium-Large tree branch (or could use a smaller one if your designated wall is not big) but make sure it is strong enough to hold your ornaments. You could even hang chocolates or the gifts themselves if they are not too heavy!
2. Butcher’s Cord or Twine- this is the perfect string to hang the ornaments with. It added to the crafty handmade look we wanted.
3. Marker and thick cardstock paper- you want nice thick paper to write your daily numbers on so it hangs nicely and doesn’t curl around the edges
4. Holiday Ornaments to hang- you can find great options for under $10!
5. Optional: presents or chocolates- it’s always fun to give away a gift a day but if this is for personal use maybe the calendar decoration is enough to make a great statement and the gifts can come later.
- Hang your branch along a wall in your home or office. This was easy for us to do in our office as we have ceiling tiles that we could easily hang wire from. Fishing line could work well as well if your branch isn’t too big.
- Cut the butcher’s cord at different lengths for each ornament so they all hang at different levels.
- Fold the string in half so the ornament hangs at the bottom.
- Tie the sting at the top and leaving the 2 sides of string long enough to tie around your branch.
- Put the paper tag at the top of the tied knot (this way it will hang higher than your ornament, close to the branch like in our picture.
- Arrange the ornaments in the order you’d like to hang them and then write the numbers 1-25 on each paper tag.
- Tie the ornaments along your branch in order!
- Countdown to the Holidays!
We can’t wait for the daily excitement to come! You still have time before December 1st – it only took us 45 minutes to make this awesome wall calendar. Do a DIY and brighten up a wall in your home or office!